A Discussion on Depression Clinics and Deep TMS
Briefing on depression
Depression or the state of low mood is one of the hidden, yet potential problems that can cause great problems in the future if not treated or looked at the proper time. It completely changes the personality of the person and affects his or her’s thoughts, actions, feelings, and mindset. Having a multitude of causes like loss of loved ones, mood-related disorders, dissatisfaction with life and many more, depression can show no signs in the initial stages, but to go undetected can cause serious problems. Hence, there are a number of depression clinics in Los Angeles and other areas open these days to treat with all such problems and hence this article elucidates primarily on Deep TMS method of depression treatment.
What is Deep TMS?
Deep TMS expanded as Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, is one of the latest and most sought after treatment methods of today’s time for depression treatment and deal with the issues pertaining to the same. The neurostimulation process of TMS is a non-invasive method where the changing magnetic field through a coil placed in the scalp of the head produces electric current due to electromagnetic induction process and hence creates a connection between the central nervous system and the muscles of the body. These small currents generated activate the neural circuits of the brain and hence show the desired results at the stimulation site. deep tms has already reached much advancement in recent times and more plans are still in the pipeline.
The Mechanism Used in the Process
The process of Deep TMS uses the combination of special types of coils named H coils that can reach up to 4 cm beneath the skull and hence form the desired network for the analysis and brain scan. These H coils are targeted towards the different regions of the brain for the studies by the therapists and doctors to understand the primary cause for depression in the patient. The coils used are completely safe and the entire treatment process has the least side effects, especially for patients with treatment-resistant depression.
The Areas of Application
The entire process of deep TMS finds its application in two major fields of medical sciences that are mentioned as follows: -
- Clinical diagnosis, to measure and analyze the critical functions of the various brain circuits and hence get aided in the study of the brain at times of any neural disorder like depression. The intercortical inhibition method is used to study properly the internal details of the brain.
- Treatment of serious disorders like depression or diseases that cannot be cured by normal MRI scanning. One of the non-invasive methods, the entire procedure is not at all painful and has been declared as one of the safest methods to look upon the issues of depression.
The Diseases that use the Method
Apart from the depression clinics using Deep TMS for handling the cases of depression, the procedure can also be used for certain other diseases mentioned as follows: -
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Bipolar disorder
- Chronic problems lasting for longer durations
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Control of smoking issues
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- OCD and Multiple Personality Disorders
Types of TMS Devices Used
Till date, there are five major types of TMS devices that have been approved by FDA for treatment of all the different cases of depression. They are Neurostar, Magvita, Magventure, Neurosoft and Brainsway TMS. The former four implement the standard figure 8 coil design that had its own set of drawbacks in the recent times and hence paved way for the development of the latter one, which uses the H coil to penetrate deeper into the brain and aid in the more proper analysis of the brain functions and various neural disorders. Apart from these, more devices are still under the pipeline of the development phase and some are also in the waiting list for approval by FDA.
Alternative Depression Treatments
Deep TMS is just one aspect of depression treatment offered in the depression clinics. The following enlist down some more types of therapies and alternative treatment methods to curb the issues of depression: -
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which uses the principle of the rise of depression due to the deep-rooted negative thought patterns that further intensify the overall levels of the problem. As per this therapy, all of such reasons are noted down by the doctors and therapists and then they begin a course of coping mechanism to help the patient in forgetting those thoughts and starting believing in the positivity of life.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), which is used for the treatment of more acute and severe issues of depression. Based on the lines of thought of CBT, this therapy method is primarily concerned about controlling the emotions of the patient and hence helps in teaching them on bringing overall control over those.
- One on one therapy for depression, which can also be termed as private therapy lessons where the patient is allotted one of the finest experts who can guide him or her on the entire process of the therapy.
- Group therapy session, where the group of patients sit together and discuss with the entire group on their shares of problems and experiences that led them into the depression. Sharing with a larger group of people helps the person in exploring the problems that he or she has faced and hence offers a more compassionate method of therapy.
- Family therapy of depression, where the patient is allowed to have a good interaction with the nearby and close family ones, along with the therapist of the clinic. This helps in the patient more opening to the doctor and freely discussing the problems.
Hence, the article discusses in detail about how the issue of depression onsets in the patients and then slowly starts affecting their mentality. To curb that, a number of depression clinics have been set up that offer various types of therapeutic methods to the patients to deal with their depression problems, out of which deep tms is the most popular, sophisticated and effective one.